Thursday, February 7, 2008

Shaq a Sun, Marion a Heat

Well I thought the trade of Gasol to the Lakers was big news, but Kobe's mate couldn't stay out of the action. Shaquille O'Neal would have heard the news of the Lakers and wanted to be the headline.

So what happened? The big man was traded to the finals regular Phoenix Suns. Phoenix in exchange sent off the swingman and perennial double-double man Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks.

What do I think of this trade? Well I think it is a terrible move from Phoenix. Phoenix needed a big man to help out on defence when they come up against the Tim Duncan's, Yao Ming and other West big men in the finals. Shaq can do this, but my problem is will he actually be right to play. Hampered by hip, knee and ankle injuries he hasn’t been himself for quite a while now. If he suits up for half of the possible games for the Suns I would be shocked.

Being a Spurs fan I have to say I am wrapped at this move. Out of all the teams in the West the Suns scared me the most. Now Marion is gone I am not as scared of them. Shaq is no longer what he was and will feel the pressure (if he plays) of the West’s big men. They will expose his lack of game winning skills and speed, which will finally ring the bell on his illustrious career.

Miami on the other hand will be happy with this trade. I am a big fan of Marion, he is a player with long arms for defence, quick, flexible and a tonne of fun to watch. He is more to Phoenix than they give him credit for. I think he is the guy who can be relied upon to win you those big games. Always putting up great figures and more valuable in my eyes than Steve Nash. His game is perfectly suited to that of Dwayne Wade and now Miami will have the up-tempo game that will get a bit of excitement back into the American Airlines Arena, and maybe a few more wins. Marcus Banks is no slouch either, he will definitely benefit from the new move and exposure he will get.

Coach Onski
Article Written 7th February 2008

No comments: